Thursday 7 November 2013

Chewy Chocolate Cookies

Someone had hinted to me some time back that he loves cookies especially the soft chewy ones and that I have been baking for others but not him. Hence, I whipped up my lappy in search for a recipe to execute on.

This recipe isn't that bad but it is still not chewy enough (according to me and my sis). Joke of the day was, when my Mom saw the cookies on the cooling rack and I gave her piece to taste, she said 'hmmm I think the center of the cookie is not cooked.' Lol..'Mom, it is meant to be that way. So that it is chewy.' She giggled and said 'I guess that is the difference between the younger generation's taste buds and ours. But it's quite tasty. Just a little too sweet.' And I agreed with that. The cookies are too sweet for me too.

This is the first time I had baked dropped cookies and I would say the result is not that bad (hehe self-praise = no praise). No no no... it ain't just self praise. I gave away some of the cookies to my students (it is their last day of tuition with me for the school term), they were so eager to sink their teeth on the cookies the moment I gave it out to them and it was all praises on how yummy the cookies are when they managed to put it in their mouth. =D

All right enough of praises =X I got the recipe from Inspiredtaste.net. The post on the website did a great job in explaining the creaming process of butter and sugar as well as the photos which tell a great deal on how the butter-sugar cream should look like. 

This recipe is simple and it isn't messy at all. However, I would tweaked the recipe a little the next time round to reduce the sweetness and increase the chewiness of the cookies.

I will suggest that:
1. Instead of 350g of flour, add 290g of flour and 60g of cocoa powder (cocoa powder is bitter so it would reduce the sweetness of the cookies). I usually use Van houten cocoa powder as the cocoa flavour is richer making the product taste more chocolaty. :) 

2. Increase the amount of brown or dark brown sugar from 225g to 250g (brown sugar are the contributor to the chewiness of the cookies if you didn't already know and also it is not as sweet as the normal caster white sugar).

3. Reduce the amount of white sugar from 100g to 85g.

4. Add 100g of chopped dark chocolate (70% cocoa) and 240g of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Hersheys chocolate chips)

That should do the trick. Not forgetting, you can use chopped up chocolate bars instead of chocolate chips, add some raisins and add some walnuts or any other nuts you like.

I find that the making of these cookies are really fun! I can easily do it with my nieces and nephews! Oh so fun! After being done with the dough, it already looked super yummy! Just like chocolate ice cream!!! Nom Nom Nom. I just can't wait to get them baked, cooled and stuffed into my mouth! Too bad I had to keep it overnight before I can bake them. According to the post on the website, this is to allow the moisture of the butter and eggs to incorporate with the flour or I would say the dry ingredients for the richness and chewiness of the dough to set in. Wooooo yummeh!

The next morning, I used ice cream scoop to scoop up the dough and place them on the baking sheet. They really do look like scoops of chocolate ice cream. As they are baking in the oven, the scoops of cookie dough will flatten and YES they look just like how scoops of chocolate ice cream melts. Oh so cute!!!

One last important reminder, DO NOT OVERBAKE! this is what keeps the cookies chewy as well.

That's all folks! ;) Hope you will have a great time trying out this recipe. Adios! 


xoxo,
TBG

No comments:

Post a Comment