Wednesday 8 August 2012

'baking' off the list

My 'to-bake' list is always lengthening. No matter how hard I try to 'bake' them off the list, the list doesnt seem to shorten as much as it is being lengthen.

I managed to 'baked' 4 recipes off my list for the past 2 weeks. They are red velvet cupcakes, poptarts, scones and lychee cupcakes.

Red velvet cupcake recipe was taken from Nicole, blogger of 'pinchmysalt'. Red velvet is usually made up of 2 components, the cupcake / sponge batter and cream cheese frosting. 

The cupcake batter is quite easy to work with only to be cautious when mixing in the red colouring. You do not want your clothes or apron to be stained with it. :) This recipe is categorized under my 'to-keep' list, though I am sure there are many other red velvet recipes that are just as good, if not better. For now, I will not discard it :) because, the moisture of the cupcake is lovely and eating a chocolate cupcake that is RED is just yummily happy.

I made some adjustments to the recipe as it is not easy to get buttermilk in Singapore neither is it cheap. So what I did was to source for a substitution. I usually find my answer from joyofbaking. In order to substitute buttermilk, all I did was to add white vinegar to milk with a ratio of 1:15 and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before using. 

I am not a fan of sweet stuffs. Hence, for the cream cheese frosting, I will suggest to those who have a similar taste bud as me to reduce the amount of icing sugar used for the cream cheese frosting. As for the amount to reduce, you will have to keep tasting the cream cheese till you are satisfied with the sweetness level. Please control yourself, do not polish off the frosting before you have even piped it on the cupcakes. I know it is tempting but CONTROL!!!! lol

OH a friend asked me if there was 'beetroot' in this recipe, which I find it interesting to hear. Why didn't I think of it. It made sense to include beetroot since it will most probably substitute the liquid red colouring -  making this sweet treat healthier. I had googled and found out that actually people does use it! Had bookmarked yet another recipe to tryout. See what I tell you about my list just keeps lengthening. keke

Here's the red velvet I made using Nicole's recipe :)


Next up, we have poptarts! The recipe came from a book - Flour by Joanne Chang which my dearest friend bought it as a birthday gift for me. I love it very much! ^^ an inspirational book for me.

Poptarts is made from Pate Brisee encase with a big spoonful of jam :)


Out of the extra pastry dough, I made myself a small little rustic jam tart for tea ^^ Nom nom~



Then it was scone baking for the weekend to be brought over to my grandparents' place. Thankfully my grandparents like it. I mean no matter how bad the scones turn out to be, I am sure they will still say it tasted great.

I had been following this blog for a long time (like many many years...about 5 years?) and the only regret is that I did not visit her stall when I was in London. :( I love her blog to bits..thumbs up for her effort in all her posts. Most of the time, she would research and understand the reason behind each 'baking' and with her generous heart, documents and shares them in her blog. I am always curious and always researching to understand the chemistry behind the steps and ingredients involve in baking. Hence, through her blog, I am able to add on some knowledge and tips. ^^

This scone post written by her is no exception. The recipe is eggless which I am quite surprise (except for the egg wash) as LCB's recipe contains egg. These scones tasted all right and just fine in my opinion. They are just as yummy as the LCB ones. However, in order to make a 100% deduction on which is better, I will have to make both recipes and taste them together. Gosh, I am gonna gain tons of weight!! :(

ermmm...I shall admit that my scones doesn't look that great as compare to her. But they are quite tasty. really! =x


Last 'bake off' is Lychee Cupcakes that I had been KIVing for quite a while and finally baking it. Oh this this thissssss is GOOD!!! Recipe taken from fellow SG blogger who makes really pretty cakes, entremets, macarons and more. As the cupcakes were requested to be pinky pink pink, I pinkified my cream with my 'new toy' Americolor deep pink! :D


OMO..looking at all these pictures, I am super hungry now.

Ciao for now....


xx,
TBG



No comments:

Post a Comment